Patch Notes - v7.0.0
11 November 2021
- Added a kid check in Deep Darkness. Update your trackers!
- Added "Shopsanity" flag.
- NPCs that give items are now scaled and randomized.
- The Dusty Dunes shop is no longer guaranteed to have all Monkey Cave items. It will instead only have those items that have not yet been included in some earlier shop.
- The Spawn Rate flag now affects 100% enemy spawns and NPC enemies. Prepare for an easier pyramid.
- Randomized the final two hallway chests in Monkey Cave (they're not needed for the puzzle).
- Removed the "can't run" flag from Slimy Little Pile, Insane Cultist, and Sentry Robot.
- Added Kraken soup, Royal iced tea, Pasta di Summers, Chef's Special, Monkey's love, and Trout yogurt to the item pool.
- Significantly lowered levels of Snakes and Vipers, making them more common.
- Lowered levels of certain early items to increase early game variety.
- Made shop item levels a little more random.
- Removed guaranteed Piggy Jelly and Stag Beetle from Mr. Saturn shops.
- Randomized all remaining un-randomized shops in the game. Their contents won't be very surprising though (unless shopsanity is on).
- The Grapefruit Falls shop vendor never disappears.
- Added "Dr. Saturn's Choice" flagset.
- Made the flagset chooser prettier. Moved some stuff around.
- Reduced the maximum curse setting that'll be generated in "random flags" from 6 to 2.
- Enabled fast doors, stunlock nerf, and flash beta nerf on default flags. Renamed "experimental balance changes" to "recommended balance changes".
- Added the tournament winner to the credits, and one other rare place. Congrats ChargingCharles!
Patch Notes - v6.1.1
7 November 2021
- Fixed a crash when trying to combine "not even randomized" with random starts.
Patch Notes - v6.1.0
21 October 2021
- Added the "not even randomized" flag.
- Added seven new Giygas-specific curses.
- Made Bear Mode a little more reasonable, probably.
- Re-added some little Giygas speedups that didn't get ported to the new prayer phase.
Patch Notes - v6.0.0
11 October 2021
- Added the "PSI Learn Rate" slider.
- Added the "teleport anywhere" flag.
- Added the "return mice" flag.
- Added the "limit mice" flag.
- Bear mode.
- Removed "double exit mouse" flag. (Don't worry, they're always doubled now.)
- Fixed Pokey's hitbox.
- Fixed unsightly flashing on certain window flavors. Thanks Crafty!
Patch Notes - v5.6.0
7 October 2021
- Added flag to unscale a percent of item levels. Will probably tweak exactly how this works later, but it's already fun.
- Fixed a rare crash at the cops when the enemy is a slimey pile and the boss is Mini Barf. (Thanks rizu-kun for finding it!)
- Gave Mini Barf a custom sprite.
Patch Notes - v5.5.1
7 October 2021
- Greatly improved the prayer sequence. Massive shoutouts to Cooprocks123e for performing the multiple miracles it took to make this work.
- Changed key item given dialogs to say which kid has it, and be slightly harder to accidentally mash through.
- Removed the "fast giygas" flag. It's always on now.
- Moved "max item level" to the resources panel.
- Reduced the amount of exp given by that one curse.
- Fixed a bug where, with sufficient effort, you could softlock yourself in the cultist room. Thanks NullSprite for finding it!
- Some minor internal cleanup. Thanks phoenixbound!
Patch Notes - v5.5.0
1 October 2021
- Added three excellent new curses.
- Increased curse limit to 7.
- Fixed that Monkey Cave glitch again. Thanks IQ and ChargingCharles for letting me know something was still wrong.
- Moved the dreaded Runaway Five Bus in Fourside slightly further out of your way. You can thank the_apple_lady for convincing me to do it.
Patch Notes - v5.4.1
26 September 2021
- Fixed an error that made Monkey Cave inaccessible. Thanks Staticpulse for letting me know!
Patch Notes - v5.4.0
26 September 2021
- New title screen cards courtesy of BigSharkZ.
- Removed MSU1 flag.
- Added MSU1 setting to sound select on all seeds.
- Added a Mr. Baseball Cap and Hand-aid to the item pool.
- The final Mr. Saturn shop no longer can have teddy bears. This fixes an issue where, in rare circumstances, the shop would have no revive items.
- Slight tweaks to Mr. Saturn shops and Mr. Saturn-associated items.
- Fixed an obscure scaling issue that probably only affects the Soul Consuming Flame's defense stat (should now be low like in vanilla).
- Removed "+1 attack strength" from curse pool.
- Fixed a rare softlock with the monkey bouncer. Thanks attack_slug for finding it, and Aurilliux for suggesting a fix!
- Fixed a bug where the getting Dragonite from the Tenda Chief would fail without a message if you had a full inventory. Thanks IQ for finding it!
- Fixed a tiny inconsistency in Magicant.
- Some item-giving NPCs have slightly changed lines. This is in preparation for a bigger change to them.
- Marginally sped up seed generation.
- You can now access PK Scramble via HTTPS.
Patch Notes - v5.3.0
8 September 2021
- Made the item box on the far south end of Twoson scale with the rest of Twoson, instead of with Everdred.
- Decreased the maximum number of enemies per group in the late game when enemy shuffle is enabled.
- Sped up certain cutscenes.
- Fighting cultists in the big room now properly despawn after beating Carpainter. (Thanks mcmcgurk for pointing it out!)
- Fixed exit mouse location in Belch Base. (Thanks WizardVapes for finding it!)
- Fixed a way to hardlock the game by teleporting out after looting the self serve shop.
- Added a seriously obscure easter egg.
Patch Notes - v5.2.1
29 August 2021
- Some things have new sprites, most courtesy of Messianic.
Patch Notes - v5.2.0
28 August 2021
Patch Notes - v5.1.1
20 August 2021
Patch Notes - v5.1.0
20 August 2021
Patch Notes - v5.0.0
19 August 2021
Patch Notes - v4.4.1
18 August 2021
Patch Notes - v4.4.0
9 August 2021
Patch Notes - v4.3.0
4 August 2021
Patch Notes - v4.2.0
31 July 2021
Patch Notes - v4.1.0
28 July 2021
Patch Notes - v4.0.0
27 July 2021
Patch Notes - v3.6.0
3 July 2021
Patch Notes - v3.5.0
24 June 2021
Patch Notes - v3.4.0
18 June 2021
- New flag - randomize overworld palettes.
- New flag - randomize window flavors. Thanks to BigSharkZ for contributing the initial batch of custom windows! If you'd like to submit your own, grab a copy of Coil Snake and edit Windows1_0.png in your project. Once you have something that looks good in game, stop by the Earthbound Speedruns Discord and drop it off in the Scramble channel. (The regular limitations of Coil Snake do not apply. If it works on the Plain Flavor entry (Windows1_0.png), it works in PK Scramble.)
- New flag - randomize NPC sprites.
- Fixed an error that would cause the Tangoo's poison breath attack not to scale.
Patch Notes - v3.3.0
9 June 2021
- Made enemy curser better at choosing appropriate curses for enemies.
- Brickroad will offer you a heal if you complete his dungeon.
- The Eraser Eraser now removes itself from your inventory after use.
- Changed lowest scaling option of poisoning attacks to inflicting "can't concentrate" instead of dealing damage. (Thanks Rizu-kun for the suggestion!)
- Made some changes to Belch's Base to make the logic easier to follow. (It's the same logic, just with more clarity and reminders.)
- When re-visiting Moonside, it is now possible to exit using the Monotoli Building door. (This is largely useless, since you can also exit via the cafe. It's here to help new players.)
- Fixed the bug where PSI Shuffle makes Ness appear to have two copies of teleport alpha. (Again. Probably.)
- Ending improvements :-).
Patch Notes - v3.2.0
4 June 2021
- Yet more scaling changes for fixed damage attacks. Should be significantly kinder for multi-target attacks, and just a little meaner for single-target ones. 4-sanc Giygas should be more consistent.
Patch Notes - v3.1.0
3 June 2021
- Made attack scaling a little kinder for fixed damage attacks.
- Fixed a minor scaling error in bomb attacks and Clumsy Robot's missiles.
- Removed "started a continuous attack" from one of the cursed upgrade pools, since it's not actually more deadly than the attacks it can replace, in practice.
- It's pride month and I'm running a website with a trippy background, so rainbows.
Patch Notes - v3.0.0
31 May 2021
- Added "cursed enemies" flag.
- Removed "enemy ability scaling" flag. (It was being used mostly as a "hard mode" flag. Cursed enemies is a much better way to do this.)
- Completely rewrote enemy attack scaling. It should generally be more consistent and fair than the old logic. (There may be new scaling bugs, but they'll go away faster.)
- Enemies that use multiple strengths of the same attack, such as Giygas 1 and Nightmare, now keep doing this after scaling.
- Made PP scaling much more accurate, especially for bosses or when attack shuffle is enabled, and especially for Nightmare.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Giygas's freeze and flash attacks from being properly scaled after Pokey's "call for help" speech but before the first prayer (typically one turn). Thanks to AND4H and Temple for helping narrow this down.
- Stopped the in-game timer from counting up while on the name select screen.
- Fixed a bug that prevented a certain fun thing from happening.
- Fixed a bug where regular Mobile Sprouts weren't scaled.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent the phase distorter from showing up if you returned from the past then died.
- Fixed the bug that caused Ness's teleport beta to appear as alpha when PSI shuffle is on. (Probably.)
- Fixed a bug that would cause enemies using Rockin' Gamma to claim they're using Rockin' Beta.
- Fixed a few more rare instances of the OSS crash.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to fight the boss at Master Barf's slot twice with mashing. Thanks to Temple for finding it!
- Fixed a (vanilla) bug where, with rare bad luck, teleporting into the Lost Underworld would cause a hard lock.
Patch Notes - v2.5.0
21 May 2021
- Ness starts with the cracked bat already equipped.
- In Happy Happy Village, the self-serve shop now has somewhat better items than the drugstore.
- You can now use an exit mouse from the Monotoli building.
- Cave Boys are now less absurdly scaled. (Manually changed vanilla level from 10 to 14.)
- 50% chance of a fun alternative to getting a teddy bear.
- Reworked naming of scaled down versions of Starstorm. Stellar Drizzle ζ and δ are now Starstorm ε and ι. When PSI Shuffle is on, characters will learn these versions of Starstorm, instead of needing to rename Starstorm α to Starstorm γ.
- Fixed inconsistent menu cursor when PSI Shuffle is on. Thanks to cooprocks123e for the incredible effort that went into fixing this.
- Ending improvements.
Patch Notes - v2.4.2
18 May 2021
- Fixed some inconsistent cursor movement during Giygas phase 1, while boss shuffle is on. Also made it so using bombs and PSI Fire are safe during this fight.
- Fixed the bug where, on instant text speed, it's possible for a character to be dead while having HP. Thanks to cooprocks123e for creating the patch and doing basically all the work!
- Fixed a bug where Lier's basement would become unaccessible if you first walked from Onett to Twoson. Thanks to attack_slug1 for finding it!
- Fixed a bug where the Boogey Tent Trash item would disappear if you checked with a full inventory. Thanks to cooprocks123e for finding it!
Patch Notes - v2.4.1
15 May 2021
- Fixed a recent bug that prevented Diamond Dog from being properly scaled.
Patch Notes - v2.4.0
14 May 2021
- Changed teleport costs to 0.
- Gerardo Montague, outside the mines, will now say what his item is before you clear the mines.
- Reduced HP of solo Heavily Armed Pokey / increased HP of whoever ends up in his slot. (Was 2x factor, now 1.75x)
- Reduced attack scaling for Starstorm, Rockin', and low levels of Giygas's Freeze.
- Slightly increased levels of early bosses. Typically, whatever ends up in Frank and Frankystein's slots.
Patch Notes - v2.3.1
11 May 2021
- Fixed a severe bug that would, in some seeds, make certain enemies suddenly trigger Giygas Phase 2. (Thanks Aurilliux for finding it!)
- Fixed a scaling bug where Zombie Dogs south of Boogie Tent could be scaled too high.
- Fixed a scaling bug bug where Slimey Little Piles in the Belch fight could be scaled too high.
Patch Notes - v2.3.0
8 May 2021
- Added Heavily Armed Pokey to boss shuffle.
- Added a safety flag to boss shuffle.
- Fixed a bug that made Giygas's difficulty very unpredictable on low-sanc seeds.
- Fixed a bug with attack scaling with PSI Hypnosis and PSI Magnet, which probably didn't affect anyone.
- The Runaway Five bus in Fourside now disappears after one use.
- Small tweaks to NPCs.
Patch Notes - v2.2.1
5 May 2021
- Fixed a bug where the HHV shop guard could softlock you if boss shuffled to be Belch or Barf. (Thanks and apologies to AirborneMuffins for finding it!)
- Removed possibility of Lifeup Gamma effects (such as "Replenished a fuel supply") being shuffled with attack shuffle on.
Patch Notes - v2.2.0
4 May 2021
- Turned boss shuffle on for race and default settings.
- Added enemy attack shuffle flag.
- PSI Shuffle will not put Flash in the favorite thing slot unless you specifically allow that by using a new flag.
- You can now return from the past using the phase distorter.
- You can now always open the town map with X, even without the item.
- Added Shield and PSI Shield to enemy scaling logic. Note this doesn't yet cover enemies that start with shields.
- Added Magnet, Brainshock, Offense Up, and Defense Down to enemy scaling logic. (Doesn't include renamed versions of these such as "Lost his temper.")
- Added Starman Junior to the boss shuffle pool.
- The library lady will no longer give you a town map. This is to address a common confusion for new players, who think the town map is the library's key item.
- Fixed the (vanilla) bug where the self-serve shop in HHV silently discards items if your inventory is full.
- Added a surprise for people that steal from the self-serve shop.
- Removed the switches in front of the sphinx, so it's clearer you should just talk to it.
- Fixed a bug where the game would crash if you lose to a scripted encounter immediately after the zombie ambush cutscene.
Patch Notes - v2.1.0
25 April 2021
- Added MSU-1 support.
- Enemies in the COTP have always received a bump in attack scaling. This bump now no longer applies to Giygas.
- Removed effects of Magicant on enemy attack scaling. This was responsible for weird spikes in enemy attack power in some seeds.
- Added scaling options for Clumsy Robot's missile.
- Added scaling options for the "eerie eyes" attack used by mooks and Trillionage Sprout.
- Fixed a bug where you could be softlocked by taking the Runaway Five bus from Fourside to Threed then immediately dying to a scripted encounter. (Thanks to HypotheticallyGreg for finding it!)
- Fixed a bug where the game could crash if you lost to the Kraken in Summers.
- Fixed a scaling bug where the Black Antoids in Grapefruit Falls could end up seriously out of scale.
- Fixed a bug where the sign in front of the HHV drug store thought it was the cabin character. (Thanks to HypotheticallyGreg for finding it!)
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to access the vanilla version of the cabin character's speech.
- Fixed a hard lock that occurs if you talk to the monkey teleport tutor while he's trying to leave after the cutscene. It might still be possible if you try really hard.
- Fixed an oversight that allowed you to slip through the door behind the monkey bouncer. (Thanks to Rizu-Kun for finding it!)
- Fixed a bug where you could slip through the door behind the Belch Base boss when boss shuffle is on. (For every other NPC/boss guarding a door, the door itself is disabled by the NPC's flag. But apparently Belch is so chonky that they never bothered.)
- Fixed a rare bug where if you have 7 teleports and Deep Darkness is last, the teleport menu renders in a weird way. (This is present in vanilla EB, but you'd need glitches to do the set up.)
- Started attaching dates to patch notes.
Patch Notes - v2.0.0
- Added boss shuffle flag.
- Added PSI shuffle flag.
- Added resistance shuffle flag.
- Added "more random" seed preset.
- Increased level of equipment found in chests by a small random amount per chest.
- Slightly increased chances of chests having equipment.
- Reduced chances of receiving broken Jeff weapons (was two 50/50 chances, now one 50/50 and one guaranteed non-broken).
- Jeff's tools are now never found broken (they were always broken).
- Doubled the number of Jeff's tools in the pool (was one of each, now two).
- Made all Jeff tools appear earlier in the item pool.
- Shops that can sell bottle rockets are now guaranteed to sell bottle rockets. They sell regular ones for the first quarter of the game, MBRs for the last quarter of the game, and BBRs for the middle half of the game.
- Fixed a bug that would make it impossible to walk from Threed to Dusty Dunes if you beat Belch before taking the Runaway Five's bus from Twoson to Threed.
- Fixed a bug that would allow you to get Carpainter's item without a Franklin Badge.
- Fixed a bug that made regular enemies sometimes break free from solidified status when the "stunlock nerf" patch was on.
- The ATM card no longer contains secret debugging tools.
Patch Notes - v1.1.1
- Fixed a bug that would prevent 1.1.0's balance changes from applying to renamed versions of PSI Fire and PSI Thunder, such as the scalding hot espresso attack, or Giygas's thunder.
- Fixed some severe bugs with the poison attack scaling logic.
- Raised the minimum level for an enemy to use Paralysis Alpha to 16 (less with more kids).
- Added the meteor to the tracker. Whoops!
- Fixed a rare bug that would cause a seed to fail to generate when Flash Beta Nerf is on.
Patch Notes - v1.1.0
- Fixed a bug that caused Criminal Caterpillars to not be scaled.
- Added lower scaling options for all poison attacks.
- Added scaling options for "poisonous fangs" and "bit down hard" (they're in the same scaling group, so some nasty surprises are possible).
- Added lower scaling options for PSI Lifeup.
- Added a lower scaling option for PSI Paralysis.
- Added lower scaling options for "glared with its eerie eyes."
- Reduced scaling difficulty for PSI Rockin', PSI Fire, PSI Thunder, and Giygas's freeze attack.
- Sped up the end game prayer cutscenes even more.
Patch Notes - v1.0.0
- File select menu now displays a random collection of dancing NPCs to make it easy to tell if you're on the same seed as someone else.
- Made many of the speed hacks optional.
- Added option to fix the guts save bug.
- Added option to reduce effectiveness of solidified attacks on bosses.
- Added option to reduce danger from Flash Beta.
- Decided this is good enough to call 1.0.
Patch Notes - v0.1.2
- Temporarily forced Magicant to always be optional and post-Giygas. Seeds with early Magicant were noticeably less fun than others for multiple reasons. I have some alternative fixes that'll take longer to do.
- Many item pool changes:
- Added "Okay Pendant" with weak Fire/Freeze/Flash resistance (same as Diadem of Kings) to the item pool. This helps with the huge gap between Great Charm and Crystal Charm. And it's a pendant that can reasonably found on low-sanc seeds.
- Double the number of each weapon in the item pool.
- Changed weighting of "other" items so their appearance would be less bursty.
- Re-weighed medicine items. Secret Herbs and Horns Of Life should now appear earlier and more reliably than they did before.
- Fixed an oversight that made certain categories of enemy drops, including most food categories, unusually bad.
- Greatly reduced the quality of guaranteed item drops.
- Sped up all door transitions and warps. A few warp types may still be a little buggy.
- Random seed numbers are now mostly timestamp. This lets you know that the seed was not rolled in advance.
- Added seed display to file select screen.
- You can now choose whether to have a run button or an inverted run button in-game during setup.
- Fixed a bug in the R button menu that'd let you steal Poo's key item at the start of the game.
- Title screen improvements.
- Randomized order of end game photo collection.
- Fixed a couple of bugs in the ending credits where Shrooom and Trillionage Sprout had their sprites swapped.
Patch Notes - v0.1.1
- Replaced R button drop with something extremely fancy and versatile.
- The general store in Summers is now an incentive shop. ...It also charges double. Try the one in Toto for a better deal on worse items.
- Removed expensive variants of items from the pool, including the Lucky Coin (which has identical stats to Charm Coin).
- Fixed cultists not appearing in Happy Happy Village.
- More ending improvements.
Patch Notes - v0.1.0
- Has a website.
Patch Notes - v0.0.6
- Run button now works on stairs and ladders. It's subtle though.
- Fixed an embarassing error in money scaling.
- Slightly nerfed the "fast initial exp" flag.
- Fixed scaled-down enemy PSI moves having glitchy text if they can't concentrate, are out of PP, or hit a shield.
- Made it so incentivised shops (Fourside Dept Store, Tenda Horn Of Life) don't remove items from the pool, making shops logically after them be horrible for a while.
- Fixed storing items with Tracy directly.
- Put the Onett Library item check back on the right shelf. (You can still get it on the wrong shelf too.)
- Apple Kid once again accepts any food item, not just hamburgers.
- Fixed palettes and music in Fourside Department Store and Threed Hotel.
- Fixed the Moonside hard lock (a consequence of a speedrunning trick that exists in vanilla).
- Added an exit route to Moonside (just check behind Jackie's cafe's door again).
- Made revisiting Moonside behave properly, if you want to do that for some reason.
- Defeating Clumsy Robot disables the Sentry Robots.
- Dungeon Man's exit door now leads to the correct location.
- Fixed a softlock if you try to use the submarine with Deep Darkness unlocked.
- Faster Lumine Hall text.
- The tenda village in the LU now actually checks if you have tendakraut.
- Various NPC text fixes.
- Made it nearly impossible to miss the Tony phonecall.
- Improved logic for low-sanctuary seeds. Guarantees that the other endgame requirements are relatively early in proportion to how few sanctuaries you need.
- Final Saturn shop now guaranteed to have a revive item, to make low-sanc Giygas at least a little safe.
- Support for seeds that skip Giygas.
- Andonuts won't let you try to fight Giygas without Paula.
- Giygas attack scaling.
- Tracked various game completion stats.
- Ending improvements. :)
Patch Notes - v0.0.5
- Double exit mice.
- Replaced skip sandwiches with repel sandwiches, since you have a run button.
- The third Mr. Saturn storekeeper now shows up when you have completed all your required "Your Sanctuary" locations.
- Support for seeds with reduced "Your Sanctuary" location requirements.
- Added hints for critical path items, so seeds with reduced "Your Sanctuary"
requirements don't become completely bottlenecked on finding them.
- Andonuts now gives you a hint where to find the meteorite piece if you try to ride the incomplete phase distorter.
- After clearing some number of sanctuaries, Apple Kid calls you to tell you where to find the zombie paper. This is skipped if you already have it.
- Randomized where and when Tony calls you.
- Added flag for increasing early game experience.
- Fixed a bug that would make Ness's Nightmare always give huge amounts of exp.
- Reduced how aggressively PSI Rockin' is scaled.
- Added a global flag for how aggressively enemy attacks are scaled.
- Added the Giygas fight to enemy scaling. Note that the "you cannot comprehend the form" attacks are not currently scaled.
- Reduced quality of backfilled shop items (if multiple shops sell equipment of the same type in the same tier, all but one will have worse items).
- Made coil snakes less murdery.
- Sped up the "You Won!" text.
Patch Notes - v0.0.4
- The R button drops the last item you got.
- Fixed several bugs with exp and money scaling. They'll be lower in general.
- Rearranged item pools to be more balanced.
- Modified general stores to be less likely to have the bear + garbage placeholder.
- Rewrote item placement logic to be much more random.
- Rewrote logical enemy scaling to be much more reliable. But still sometimes surprising.
- Fixed some instances of being able to turn spawns off.
- More NPC text polish.
- Fast prayer sequence.
- Added PSI Flash, PSI Lifeup, Summoned A Storm, and Glorious Light to enemy attack scaling.